Followers

Translate

Friday 26 July 2013

What a Summer!

What a summer it just seems to get hotter and hotter.  I am not complaining just commenting, but the poor garden is suffering, it's hard work watering every evening but it's so necessary.  Even the fields are all yellow and some trees are suffering, a big branch fell off of a huge tree we have here in the village, it fell across the road and brought the electricity lines down, luckily no one was around at the time so no injuries, they think the tree was stressed because of the hot weather and no rain.


As you can see the redcurrants in my garden are ready for picking, I think they are like jewels hanging down.  I have just made 8 lbs of blackcurrant jam, so the next thing I have to do is the redcurrant jelly.  That is a little more fussy to make as you have to strain the fruit after the first lot of cooking and then add the sugar and boil up again until you reach setting point, hey ho - that job is for the cool of the evening .



This is a David Austin rose called Crown Princess Margaretta that I treated myself to last year, it's a climber and this year it has been flowering beautifully.  BUT my DH decided to plant cabbage plants around it, and then to add insult to injury he said the pigeons were pecking at the cabbages so he put some awful green plastic netting around it as protection for the cabbages.  I was not a happy bunny and made my feelings known, the netting has been removed but not the cabbages, as far as I am concerned the pigeons can have them and welcome.  What do you say?

One of my DGD's is in hospital at the moment she has had 2 cysts growing on her ovaries, she had them removed yesterday by keyhole surgery, they have kept her in overnight as things weren't quite so straightforward as the medics thought, but fingers crossed that she will be home later today.  Apparently she was worried at one moment as the vicar came visiting, she didn't realise that is common practice, I guess she thought that her end was nigh.  Staying in hospital has been another big learning curve for her.  We shall all be glad to see her home again.

I was so touched by all the messages of welcome back from friends in blog land thank you all so much.  It just shows what friendly people us stitchers are.  I haven't done much stitching for a few days, so I must get my act together.  I have tidied up my sewing room which was a disgrace and I was ashamed to even open the door, but now well - WOW -  every time I walk by it I open the door and admire!  Enjoy your stitching, girls and keep your needles and scissors sharp and take care.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful roses , naughty DH . The jams will be yummy.
    Sorry about DGD hope she will be home soon, hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Janet! That rose is just gorgeous.
    I do so hope the granddaughter is well and home already.
    Good for your getting that sewing room admirable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, your rose plant.
    Hopefully your granddaughter is back home and well by now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful rose, pretty colour.
    Best Wishrs for a speedy recovery for your DGD.

    ReplyDelete